Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Stage Fright!

As many of you are aware, last week Improv Playhouse had the honor of hosting the revered Hollywood acting coach Diane Christiansen.  I've known about this annual event since I started here about two months ago, but I didn't really know what it would be like.  As the time got closer, excitement built and the registrations continued to fly in.  I had an inkling that this might be big news.

For those of you who are learning about this for the first time, this set of week-long workshops were for children, teenagers, and adults.  Diane was to provide professional tips for acting and auditioning (because you certainly can't work on a part if you can't land said part) in individual workshops for each age group and then coach them through a combined workshop and a showcase for family, friends, and invited agents.  Diane is no small-time coach, either: her credentials come in the form of actors placed on almost every TV show imaginable and many movies.  This includes Lost, Glee, Arrested Development, and recently Hailee Steinfeld, the 16-year-old Oscar nominee and general scene-stealer in 2010's True Grit.  Both my and Keanu Reeves' reactions were simple: Woah.

I was all set to be Diane's assistant the first two nights and was looking forward to watching her in awe while she was in her element.  Then I found out I needed to drive her to and from her hotel on the second night.  My first reaction was of course willingness to help out, but then I got nervous.  I'd be spending a good amount of time alone with a famous Hollywood acting coach.  What would I say?  What would I do?  What if I got us lost even with my GPS?  What should I wear?  What if I smell bad?  What if she jumps from my car at highway speeds and catches a cab to avoid my inane conversation?  She seemed very nice on the first night, so I had no rational basis for my nervousness, but rationality is not necessarily a specialty of Theater majors.

I left my house with plenty of time to spare--partially to claw my way through rush hour and a number of stoplights being out from the freak storm of the day before, and partially so I could get my jitters out in a normal way (which of course consisted of singing along with various showtunes at the top of my lungs).  I arrived at the hotel in one piece and very early, called Diane to let her know I was ready whenever she was (but of course to take as much time as she needs), and settled in the lobby to hold my book in front of me while my eyes darted all over.  After a few minutes I heard a kind "Hello, Allie!" and was thanked for the ride with a hug to boot.

Well, this didn't seem so scary.  I had thought up a few conversation starters in preparation for the ride, but found myself with no need for them.  Not only was Diane incredibly friendly and conversational, she was genuinely interested in me and the stories I had to tell.  Of the two of us, I firmly believe she is the more interesting one, so I was floored that she was so amiable.  By the end of the night, we had learned quite a lot about each other, gone out for a delicious snack at Mickey Finn's with Tony, and shared an inside joke.  She was kind enough to give me some pointers and we're even friends on Facebook.

My point, I suppose, is that I'm quite happy to dismantle a portion of the stereotype that people from Hollywood are elitist snobs.  Diane was not only an excellent resource to the aspiring actors and actresses of Improv Playhouse, but she is an incredibly fun person as well.  I was even disappointed that I wasn't able to assist with the rest of the workshops.  But that's what next year is for.

-Allie

Are you interested in taking Diane's workshop next year?  Join the Improv Playhouse mailing list by emailing office@improvplayhouse.com to be kept updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment